A small victory in the tragic murder of Robert Dziekanski

A fellow by the name of Robert Dziekanski was coming to Canada to join his mother, who already lived here. It would seem that he was irritable on arriving, perhaps after having flown half way around the world. He was approached by four police officers, and within moments was dead on the floor. He was tasered, and tasered, and tasered, and tasered some more. He was tasered standing up, tasered laying down, and tasered until he was dead. Today, I read in the news “The RCMP officer who stunned Robert Dziekanski with a Taser at Vancouver’s airport lied at a public inquiry into the Polish immigrant’s death, a judge ruled Friday.
Const. Kwesi Millington fired his Taser multiple times after he and three other officers were summoned to Vancouver’s airport in October 2007. Dziekanski, who spoke no English, had been throwing furniture in the international terminal.”. You can read the full article at
Three others are still facing this matter, incluing Benjamin (Monty) Robinson who is still waiting for a verdict from the judge who heard his trial, and Const. Gerry Rundel, who is in the midst of trial as we speak. One other was acquited, Mr. Bill Bentley, though Crown is appealing that acquital.
It took years to get this far, but today there was a small step in righting the wrong that was done to Mr. Dziekanski and to his mother and to our society.
(Update – Monty Robinson was convicted on March 20, 2015. Gerry Rundel was acquited on April 30, 2015. Bill Bentley was acquited and after the matter appeared in front of the Court of Appeal  Madam Justice Anne MacKenzie wrote the decision of the 3 person court approving the acquital. Monty Robinson was sentenced to two years less a day (a sentence that would place him in the provincial jail system) on July 24, 2015 but appealed that conviction on the same day).

* update His appeal of his conviction was dismissed by the BC Court of Appeal on January 11, 2017, with 2 judges of that court confirming the conviction and one dissenting.

Update July 14, 2016:Kwesi Millington was convicted of perjury, and sentenced to 30 months in prison. That puts him in a federal institution. He appealed that conviction, but his appeal was dismissed by the BC Court of Appeal. Castanet covered the story here: http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-170723-3-.htm#170723
Interestingly, Kwesi takes a much different view, saying on his own website: “However, in 2011, I was charged with a crime that I did not commit.”. I say interesting because Kwesi manages to skip over the fact that he was found guilty, not just charged, and was subsequently sentenced for the offence. That’s a far cry from “charged”.

Update July 17, 2018:  Kwesi Millington is not one to lay down.  He  appealed his 30 month sentence as well (that’s a sentence that places him in a federal institution), though in July of 2018 abandoned that appeal as reported by the CBC.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *